Old 30-11-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default rain rain go away...

On 2009-11-30 16:54:18 +0000, Jennifer Sparkes said:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Big - and rather bad snip ...

It's one Ray bred here and you've reminded me to put it on the site!

Yes - I *know* you will! Actually, I've just asked him if there are
any for sale and he's got to take more cuttings. I do nag him about this
but does it get me anywhere.....

*Please* keep nagging him Sacha I would love to buy a plant or two
for the troughs I am replanting. Green Lanes too ...

Jennifer

I did just that last night, Jennifer. And I said we really should
propagate Green Lanes, too and label it with the background of Cecil
Wyatt breeding it. Of course, you'll probably have to come and collect
them personally. Or perhaps we should meet in Tresco. ;-))
He has a few D. Green Lanes coming on at the moment because someone who
is writing a biography of Wyatt hasn't got it and had never even heard
of it but would like some. I think I'd like rather a lot more of them
here and there around the place. I've always had a soft spot for these
charming and old-fashioned little plants, so I'm hoping they'll regain
their place in gardeners' affections one of these days. I wonder if
many/most of us have nostalgic memories (if we're old enough!) of
parental and grandparental gardens and their flowers. I still
associate Aubretia with my grandfather because he had masses of it
tumbling over his front garden's wall. We have a customer who comes to
the tea room quite regularly and he's blind. He was sitting on the
lawn one day when Ray picked one of the D. Green Lanes and handed it to
him and said "see how you like this". The man was just blown away by
the scent, so we picked him a few to take home and he went off happily
sniffing at them as he left. I think his poor guide dog may even have
been a bit confused!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com