Old 30-11-2009, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RG[_2_] RG[_2_] is offline

Default Infra-red camera

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:21:21 -0000, wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

I looked at the Maplins site but couldn't see anything similar. This
one would have to be mounted where we can get at it to change the SD
card (no, I have no idea either!)

An SD card is a very small item for memory storage, as used in
cameras etc.

There is certainly an attraction in having a self-contained unit like this
rather than a separate camera and recorder, but I would be cautious.

The most important specification of all is missing - what is the camera
definition for video? It takes 8 MB stills, but with an auto PIR trigger
the single frame will be unlikely to catch the best shot and you will very
likely want to use video.

The fact that this camera has such a modest storage card - limited to 2GB
max - suggests to me that the video picture size will be rather small and
correspondingly less detailed. It will use heavy compression. No doubt it
will show the presence of a fox or a badger, but you will not be able to
see much of what it is doing.

Personally I would want to know the video storage specification, and
perhaps ask for a sample bit of video.

RG