Old 18-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Folklore

Default Bio filtering without bio falls ?

Thanks Lee. So the bridal veil filters better than the foam?

How do you use the Koi Clay?

Thanks,

Aslan...

On 15 Apr 2003 10:45:15 -0500, "Lee Brouillet" Said:

May I assume that you're looking for the cheapest/easiest way to fix this? I
had a lot of problems with the floaty particulate matter in my pond: to
clear it up, I made a bag of window screen, which I stuffed with more window
screen and several yards of cheap mesh (like bridal veil, but cheaper!) (I
learned that trick here on this board . . . thank you very much!!!). I
placed this on top of the framed net in the skimmer box. When the algae is
heavier, I have to wash it off twice a day; later on, maybe only once every
other day. But I live in FL, and have a LOT of algae. The window
screen/veiling is easy to clean, just blast it with the hose and put it back
in place. It took a week or so, but then the water got very, very clear. I
have several "layers" of filtration, so I was able to dispense with the foam
in the skimmer box in lieu of the pillow of material for the "fines". In
your case, the foam is the major source of your biofiltration, so I would
NOT suggest you remove it, just put the pillow on top of it.

Bacteria will not work on algae: the bacteria work on the ammonia conversion
process, so a bag of lava rock would only clog up with the algae, and is a
real pain to clean (heavy, too). Another way to get rid of the algae is to
use a UV. If you don't want to use the Poly-Clear, acquire some Koi Clay
(calcium bentonite). It's a natural product, will provide a lot of trace
minerals for the fish, and acts like a floculant.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Lee