Old 02-12-2009, 04:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default And you want ME to shut up. See how it will affect you!

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

REGARDLESS of GW or no GW we have to do it. Oil is going to run
out. Before it does it is going to become prohibitively expensive
as demand continues to grow, supply shrinks and the cost of
extracting less accessible reserves increases.

Did you recently see the show on the ABC which I think was called,
"The Story of Money" - I may have got the title wrong but it was
made by an Irish chap who covered much more than just money - there
was also a huge environmental element to the show? The last show
of the 3 part series was titled 'Peak Everything'.

I keep thinking of this show given that we've just recently had news
of food having gone up 40% in 10 years, the ETS and the most recent
news that Australia is now building the biggest houses in the world.

No I didn't see it, I will have a look at the ABC web site and see
what i can find..

Sorry David, I gave you a bum steer. The show was actually called
"Addicted to Money". (I hunted through the old newspaper pile to
find an old TVGuide)
This site gives a reasonable overview of the "Peak Everything"
episode but it is a bit skimpy on the emphasis the show gave to the
(quite astonishing given that it's a totalitarian state) moves that
china is making on environmental issues:
http://transitiontownsireland.ning.c...icted-to-money

I found it and watched it online. Overall quite reasonable given that
they were working from the financial crisis as a starting point rather
than the main focus being on the limits to natural resources. I was
disappointed in that a number of issues, including the big one of
overpopulation, were skimmed over and others that are likely to come up
(like peak phosphorus to get more on topic) were not mentioned. The
editing was crap with too many flashy composite and tessellated images.

LOL. Just how much coverage do you want in an hour's show? I thought there
was enough covered to raise the issues of "Peak Everything" quite well. I
know that since I watched it, it's certainly caused me to pull in my horns
more and now (for some things) the first place I think of shopping (and
usually find what I need) is in the 2nd hand places.