Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Zucchini blossom end rot

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
My zuccs have BER! As I understand it the problem is due to
deficiency of calcium in the plant which can be brought about by
uneven water availability or lack of calcium in the soil. Well my
zuccs have not been watered unevenly, they have neither been
saturated not allowed to wilt and they are well mulched. The soil
has been amended with lime and gypsum.

Could there be a problem with water penetration due to the mulch? I
know I have to be quite careful of mulch on our low pressure, gravity
fed, country water supply and fluff the mulch every now and then or
otherwise the watering isnt' even.

I don't think so, the zuccs and other stuff in that bed are growing quickly
and not wilting on hot days so I reckon the water is good. But I will
insert the diagnostic finger more often to be sure. Thanks.

David