Old 01-12-2009, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default Frost

"Sacha" wrote in message
We had quite a pretty white lawn this morning! No damage was done that
I'm aware of but it was very cold. Cloud cover now so we have to hope it
stays that way from the garden pov. 'They' were saying that it's possible
it went down to -6C in places. I hope Cornwall didn't/doesn't have a
repeat performance of last year's weather behaviour, though it's probably
a bit early to know yet!

:-)

Surprise, surprise, my outdoor tomatoes are still going (just).
We had a bit of an air frost last night but it didn't touch the ground and
the plants are close to a house wall anyway which gives extra protection.
Stupid things are still flowering as well but I don't expect to get any more
fruit.
Really, I'm just leaving them now to see how far into December they survive.
We picked a tray load about 3 weeks ago and they are ripening indoors.
By all accounts the temperature is due to rise again, along with the wind
speed and the rainfall.

Commiserations to the frost hit.
I will start to get jealous when you get significant snow.
It is not something we often see around here, more's the pity.

However, wasn't today simply lovely?
Wind dropped, sun all day, cold but not unpleasant.
Neighbours out in walking gear obviously off for a nice walk in the sun but
I'm doing heavy construction work in the garden so I spent the day chasing a
wheelbarrow.

Cheers

Dave R