Old 02-12-2009, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
diamonds diamonds is offline

Default Problem with Deteriating Lawn

On 1 Dec, 18:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:19:08 -0800 (PST), diamonds

wrote:
I have a lawn about 70 sq. yds and at present it is not in good
condition.
Several Readings give a *Ph of 7.5 to 8.0 *and I understand that a PH
of about 6.5 is desirable!
May I ask if anyone has any ideas in order to rectify this situation?
Ideas as to what to apply and when would be most welcome
I have top dressed it after spicking it for the last 2-years, and *I
am wondering if this has thrown the Ph out of balance.
Thanks,
Reg Sweetmore

Look out for a copy of Hessayon's book 'The Lawn Expert'; probably out
of print but available second-hand. I wouldn't worry about pH,
Hessayon doesn't even mention it. I'm no lawn expert, but a few years
ago my lawn was in a pretty poor condition. It's much better now after
I over-sowed it with a B&Q grass seed mixture, followed by a few years
of individually spraying dandelions, clover, plantains etc with
selective lawn weedkiller, and feeding it a couple of times a year
with a lawn fertiliser. The only drawback with feeding is that it
encourages the grass to grow, which then means it has to be cut!

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Thanks for your useful comments Chris.