Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Griffiths John Griffiths is offline

Default Castor Oil Plant

In message , Sacha
writes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-11-29 13:23:43 +0000, John Griffiths
said:

I have a castor oil plant that grew too big for a house plant and
I put it in the garden 3 years ago. Since then it has flourished
even though I didn't expect it to survive outdoors.
Now it is about 4' high and for the first time has what look like
flowers and seed pods. What do I do now - just wait until the frost
comes or pick the pods/cut them off or protect them. I am at a loss !
You can see a photo on http://www.johngriffiths.co.uk/castor.htm
Any help would be appreciated
I think that's a Fatsia japonica. Look up the two on Google
imaging. Ricinus communis is the castor oil plant and it's very
poisonous btw. It's usually grown as an annual here because it
doesn't survive our winters, which is another reason to think you've
got a Fatsia there. In favourable conditions, they will survive.
I'd leave it alone to do own thing and throw a bit of horticultural
fleece over it if you expect frosts. But if it's done 3 years in
the garden and came through last year, I doubt you or it have
anything to worry about! ;-)

Sacha
Thanks for the info - I think it is a Fatsia Japonica as you suggest.
The ricinus doesn't have the same sort of 'cut' leaves and also
doesn't seem to thrive outdoors in cold areas. I hope it isn't a
ricinus because it is, as you say, poisonous - 300 times more
poisonous than arsenic!

You're very welcome and I really, really don't think it's Ricinus.
Everything about it is wrong and what's more coming through 3 winters
makes that even more unlikely.
I read that the fatsia will survive frost although the leaves may
suffer, but as long as the roots are protected it will flourish once
the weather warms up.

That should certainly be the case.
It is a really gorgeous plant with the flowers and seed pods so it
must be happy where it is. It is about 4' high x 4' spread.
Thanks again
John

Sounds very happy and healthy - the leaves are popular with flower
arrangers and it's a strong architectural plant - makes a bold
statement, while the flowers are loved by insects.

Thank you to all who answered - it seems to be a Fatsia japonica that I
have and is a really impressive plant.
Thanks again.

--
J.G.