Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 AM
uriel13 uriel13 is offline
Registered User

Hi Ed,
I failed to add this information on my first posting to you.

In late May early June carefully start removing soil from around each plant to expose the bulb to the sunlight. This action will begin the drying process of your harvest, many a crop has failed to store through not doing this. You can lose a crop through the central stalk being damp. Garlic bulbs can rot from the inside out and by the time you realise what is happening it is too late.

Allow at least a third of the foliage to brown off before lifting the bulbs, and allow at least two dry days before lifting.

Once lifted my crop is placed on a tray in my greenhouse, I turn them every day to ensure that they are completely dry before storing. Having suffered a crop storage failure you never make the same mistake again.

Uriel