Old 03-12-2009, 09:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Norway spruce

On Nov 27, 4:38*am, billwilliams billwilliams.
wrote:
Hello. Four years ago I planted a christmas tree in the garden. At the
time it was 6ft tall, it has now reached around 12ft.

If I cut the top six feet off the tree, will it recover?

Many thanks

Tallest branches suppress growth of lower ones by
production of hormones at tip meristem. Topping
thus removes growth suppressant hormones. What's
left of the tree grows back in bushier form, likely
not what you had in mind. To preserve the conical
shape, trim *all* branches back, preferrably no more
than 1/3 of branch length each.