Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Default Garllic too deep

On 03/12/09 04:59, uriel13 wrote:
Hi Ed,
I failed to add this information on my first posting to you.

In late May early June carefully start removing soil from around each
plant to expose the bulb to the sunlight. This action will begin the
drying process of your harvest, many a crop has failed to store through
not doing this. You can lose a crop through the central stalk being
damp. Garlic bulbs can rot from the inside out and by the time you
realise what is happening it is too late.

Allow at least a third of the foliage to brown off before lifting the
bulbs, and allow at least two dry days before lifting.

Once lifted my crop is placed on a tray in my greenhouse, I turn them
every day to ensure that they are completely dry before storing. Having
suffered a crop storage failure you never make the same mistake again.

Uriel

Thank you. That is really helpful advice about the drying process..