Old 18-04-2003, 01:08 AM
it's me

Default Fern growing in my yard

Angela Coffey wrote:

We just noticed a few days ago that there are little ferns growing all over
our land (mainly under the shade of the pine trees). If I were to dig a few
up and put them in a hanging basket, would they turn into one of those huge
cascading ferns that you see in the stores for at least 10.00 each? I want
some ferns, and I sure don't want to buy them if I have them growing in my
own yard, LOL!

Thanks!
Angie

Most ferns are easily transplanted. I not sure how many like containers,
but the #1 rule of placing fern is they will grow in most light
conditions but if it's in direct sun they need a LOT of water. If you
had a container big enough or watered it daily it might work.
the best thing to do is to figure out what you have and then you can
figure out what to do with it. It's not hard there are only about a
hundred ferns. Get yourself a field guide from the library or buy one.

ferns make a great garden all by themselves or mixed with other native
plant you can find in and around your property. Find a shady spot add
lots of moist soil and some Peat Moss and see what you can find for free.

Kevin