Old 04-12-2009, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pergola repairs?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote ...
One of the Casualties of the strong winds has been our 30' pergola, this
is the second time the 4" tanalised uprights have snapped in strong wind
and I have concluded its just not strong enough!
I have reluctantly decided to build the pillars up in brick but before
I order bricks wondered if any Urglers have used any other method to
create the uprights?
I didn't know for instance whether there are any square section products
like the things you build chimneys out of but in something a bit more
decorative than rough concrete, looking to end up with something around a
foot square

When we moved here there were square wooden pillars holding up a porch
that runs across the front of the house. They rotted from the inside
within a couple of years and after replacing them a couple of times, and
constantly having to mend them despite using good wood preservative, we
eventually bought stone like pillars from Haddonstone. Quite expensive but
because they last forever without any maintenance they are actually
cheaper in the long haul, at the time they were cheaper than some hollow
glass fibre ones I found.
Alternatively how about using some of those thermal blocks they use these
days to make houses, cement one on top of another, use a circle cutter
down the centre to enable you to cement in reinforcing rods , I sure your
local builders merchant would advise.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Couple more good ideas thanks, how well do those thermolite blocks last
outside with frost etc do you know?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs