Old 04-12-2009, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lelandite Lelandite is offline

Default Yes i will be out there Christmas day planting away

How many of us real traditional gardeners are left?
You know the ones that save seeds at the end of every summer and
religiously sow them at the begining of the next year and on through to
spring.
The ones that dig over their vegetable patch every year.
Yes and those that spread that heavily scented (or stink as my dear
wife calls it) compost on their veg patch every autumn.
And those of us that still grow rhubarb, gooseberries and all manner of
soft fruits.
Those that actually use their greenhouse as a greenhouse. All those
lovely fuchsias, stopped and mollycoddled, to create a perfect plant.
And rows and rows of fuchsia cuttings rooting in a mixture of peat and
sand.
And yes I will be out there Christmas day, rain, sun, snow or whatever,
sowing my broad beans.
Who else will???
All the best
Gardenjunkie

Guess I would be considered a tradionalist gardener. Already have my
flower beds covered with the heavenly scent of road apples but underneath
the apples I have about 5" of yellow, orange, red mable leaves. Will also be
adding peat to the pile come Spring.

I grow enough rhubarb for two family and even have a gooseberry that
was sent to me as a freebie. There was "one" berry last year but I
moved this plant and am hoping for better results.

My new dwarf apples and cherries trees should produce something this
spring.

I don't have a greenhouse (dream!) but I'm going to try making a small
scaled shelf (8') and a tack it to my fence. Hopefully I'll get this shelf
for nothing or close to that as it's left overs from a hardware store.
Comes with holes! Just a couple of brackets, some nice plastic to
cover it all nice and tiddy and that's where I'm hoping to plant my
annual seeds and whatever else catches my eyes. I'm hoping some
of the sweat peas from this past year will bloom on their own as
they gave off so many seeds and I made sure they were buried.

Even though it's cold out (28 degrees this morning) I'm already
thinking and planning for Spring. But right now I'm just trying to
keep my birds happy: flickers, both pileated snowy woodpeckers,
nutthachers, red house wrens and all the other tweetie birds.
So fun to watch.

I love each season that has been given to us to use and enjoy!

Donna
in WA