Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline

Default mouse infestation

Actually, I'm dead serious about killing mice. It seems like mice
have moved into our 92 year old home with a vengeance. It started about
2 months ago, as it got cold outside. I was able to use traditional
mousetraps to kill a lot of them, but then that petered out as the
remaining ones seemed to keep to the walls more, and not bother with the
traps, no matter what tempting morsels I might put in them.

About a month ago, I finished installing clear plastic panels over
the open joists in the kitchen ceiling. I had installed tube
fluorescent lights up there. Now I notice that in just the past week,
there are probably 60 mouse droppings up there on top of the plastic,
and I can also see yellow where they have been taking ****. This is
right up above our kitchen stove.

I'm wondering if our mice could be numerous because my sister, who
lives on the other side of our duplex, is a packrat. She tends to leave
things lay around, including food, which probably gives them a perfect
breeding ground. They finally got into her foodstuffs so bad that she
was forced to make some changes, though. Still, I believe they have
plenty of hiding places in the boxes piled up over there.

Obviously, this is a serious problem. I want the mice dead. I've
been thinking of either fumigation or poison of some kind.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I'd like to get
something that I can put all over in hidden areas, which will eradicate
these things.