Old 06-12-2009, 06:21 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Zucchini blossom end rot

Jonthe Fly wrote:
On 5/12/2009 8:20 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
hope this helps....

http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Content/File/...t_Pest/479.pdf

Thanks. None of the listed ways that insufficient calcium would
be available seem to apply. I may just continue cutting most of
them small (zucchini flowers are very "in" you know) and leave a
few to grow, or not, and await developments.

David

OK a longer check off list needs to be made it seems.
No heavy winds or sudden rain after a period of drought?

No, puzzling isn't it.

As you said you had record temperatures, could it be that these have
affected pollination at that crucial time.
I have the idea planted in the back of my mind somewhere, that
pollination stops when the temperature gets too high, and it may
also be that bees stop pollinating for the same reason....They
slack off on hot days....

This is true of some species such as tomatoes but I have not heard
of it regarding marrows. That doesn't mean that it isn't so.

David

Youre not easy to convince are you?

I do not rush into conclusions. I have grown zuccs right through summer
here for years, which is just as hot or hotter than the last month, and not
had the problem of BER. I think the prolonged flagellation of this
particular horse has just about reduced it to component molecules.