Old 05-12-2009, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Novel way of ripening green tomatoes

"Paul" wrote in message
I took the kitchen waste to the green - Darlek type - compost bin on the
allotment this morning, tipped it in and stirred it around. Then I spotted
some red tomatoes. They looked healthy, not rotten or broken. Fished on
out. Perfectly ripe, ready to eat. Then it dawned on me. My partner had got
rid of all the green tomatoes from the greenhouse at the end of October.
So now we can enjoy the last of the tomatoes, about half a kilo.

I put the last of our toms, all green, in a deep bowl on top of a kitchen
cupboard when I wanted to clear the plants from the greenhouse. They all
ripened in their own good time, and now the last are fully ripe. They're
juicy and tasty, but the skins are tougher than the earlier ones.

Steve