Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default Novel way of ripening green tomatoes

"Paul" wrote in message
I took the kitchen waste to the green - Darlek type - compost bin on the
allotment this morning, tipped it in and stirred it around. Then I spotted
some red tomatoes. They looked healthy, not rotten or broken. Fished on
out. Perfectly ripe, ready to eat. Then it dawned on me. My partner had got
rid of all the green tomatoes from the greenhouse at the end of October.
So now we can enjoy the last of the tomatoes, about half a kilo.
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid

I put mine with the bananas, apparently bananas give off some sort of gas
which ripens tomatoes.

Alan