Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Wildbilly Wildbilly is offline

Default mouse infestation

In article ,
Mysterious Traveler wrote:

Ohioguy wrote:
Actually, I'm dead serious about killing mice. It seems like mice
have moved into our 92 year old home with a vengeance. It started about
2 months ago, as it got cold outside. I was able to use traditional
mousetraps to kill a lot of them, but then that petered out as the
remaining ones seemed to keep to the walls more, and not bother with the
traps, no matter what tempting morsels I might put in them.

About a month ago, I finished installing clear plastic panels over the
open joists in the kitchen ceiling. I had installed tube fluorescent
lights up there. Now I notice that in just the past week, there are
probably 60 mouse droppings up there on top of the plastic, and I can
also see yellow where they have been taking ****. This is right up
above our kitchen stove.

I'm wondering if our mice could be numerous because my sister, who
lives on the other side of our duplex, is a packrat. She tends to leave
things lay around, including food, which probably gives them a perfect
breeding ground. They finally got into her foodstuffs so bad that she
was forced to make some changes, though. Still, I believe they have
plenty of hiding places in the boxes piled up over there.

Obviously, this is a serious problem. I want the mice dead. I've
been thinking of either fumigation or poison of some kind.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I'd like to get
something that I can put all over in hidden areas, which will eradicate
these things.

Exterminators have some stuff that will kill every mouse you have
*Fast* and last years. They spray powder in the attic, under the
house, in cracks, everywhere. I had mice so bad they were chewing
holes in the wall to get at a sack of dog food.

Mysterious Traveler

A cat(s) is a less drastic, tried and true, traditional approach to mice
and rat control. This is a good time of year to stock up on a couple of
20 lb. "heater" cats.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm