Old 07-12-2009, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Propagating dwarf lemon trees

On 12/6/2009 6:24 PM, Wildbilly wrote:
In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 12/6/2009 6:03 AM, geronimo wrote:
I collected the seeds from my dwarf lemon tree. But I am
wondering..... I know if you grow an orange tree from seeds, it won't
produce much, and so they are grafted. Is this the case with my lemon
tree? The seeds will come up but will not get much fruit production?

With dwarf citrus, it's more than what kind of fruit will form on a tree
grown from seed. Viable seeds will result in a full-sized tree, not a
dwarf.

To obtain a dwarf citrus, a desirable variety is grafted onto a
marginally compatible rootstock. An partially compatible root stock
results in a semi-dwarf. An almost incompatible root stock results in a
true dwarf. These results are because the root stock inhibits growth of
the scion (the part grafted) to varying degrees.

The lack of full compatibility in the graft means that dwarf and
semi-dwarf citrus do not live as long as full-size (standard) citrus.
In a large pot, 25-30 years can be expected. Standard citrus can be
productive for decades longer.

By the way, grafting for standard citrus ensures that a desirable
variety results. Citrus from seeds might not be true to the parent's
variety. This is not an issue of fruit quantity but fruit quality.

And my little 3' tall Meyer Lemon has over two dozen lemons on it this
year (its' third year).

I've already picked about 6 Eureka lemons from my dwarf. There are over
a dozen showing various amounts of yellow. And there are uncounted
little green lemons. Although we've already had frost, the tree is in
bloom. From the top of its pot to the topmost shoot, it's less than 4
feet.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean