Old 18-04-2003, 02:08 AM
linda mar

Default pH fluctuations? GH drift?

it looks like smooth rounded quartz-based stuff with other stuff in it

If it's quartz, it should be okay. But some of the gravels sold for

fishtanks
are not inert. If they're meant for marine or African tanks, they can

raise
the GH quite a bit.

No.. I don't think they were meant for marine or african tanks... more like
river gravel/pebble.. I dont have the bag with me anymore (bought it 4-5mo
ago), but it sort of looks like quartz, quartz coglomerate, granite-type
materials, grounded smooth.

no
fizzing when I put it into vinegar, etc).

Vinegar probably wouldn't be strong enough to get a reaction.

hmm.. all the reference books I read said that if it has any lime, etc, in
it, vinegar will make it bubble... I suppose I can "steal" some
concentrated acetic acid from the lab and take it home and try it, but
either way, I'm pretty certain the gravel is inert. (if it was gravel
leeching GH-elements, it doesn't explain why the GH went up in the past 2-4
weeks while it was stable during the first 12-14 weeks...)

linda

Leigh