Old 07-12-2009, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme Stephen Wolstenholme is offline

Default Growing Mushrooms in Logs

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:27:28 -0000, "mark"
wrote:

I've just seen in a Sutton's catalogue, wooden plugs which have been
impregnated with mushroom spores.
It says to drill holes in freshly cut logs (not pine) and insert the plugs.

Just so happens that I'm partway through butchering a cherry tree so have a
supply of logs.
The plugs are nearly £12 for 60. I don't mind parting with the £12 if I get
a good crop but may need counselling if I don't.

Any experiences or advice?

mark

Years ago I grew some mushrooms on old fence stumps but I have never
used fresh logs. So far as I know the logs must be at least a month
old. That is to get rid of the natural antifungals in the wood. The
stumps I had success with were quite ancient. The process seems to be
easier these days because of the readily available plugs.

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.