Old 07-12-2009, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Growing Mushrooms in Logs

mark wrote:
I've just seen in a Sutton's catalogue, wooden plugs which have been
impregnated with mushroom spores.
It says to drill holes in freshly cut logs (not pine) and insert the plugs.

Just so happens that I'm partway through butchering a cherry tree so have a
supply of logs.
The plugs are nearly £12 for 60. I don't mind parting with the £12 if I get
a good crop but may need counselling if I don't.

Any experiences or advice?

mark

Yes. Get some slightly-seasoned oak, chestnut or holly, and I'll take
the cherry off your hands - preferably if there's five feet or more of
it left in one chunk...

--
Rusty