Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Growing Mushrooms in Logs

mark wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
mark wrote:
I've just seen in a Sutton's catalogue, wooden plugs which have been
impregnated with mushroom spores.
It says to drill holes in freshly cut logs (not pine) and insert the
plugs.

Just so happens that I'm partway through butchering a cherry tree so have
a supply of logs.
The plugs are nearly £12 for 60. I don't mind parting with the £12 if I
get a good crop but may need counselling if I don't.

Any experiences or advice?

mark

Yes. Get some slightly-seasoned oak, chestnut or holly, and I'll take the
cherry off your hands - preferably if there's five feet or more of it left
in one chunk...

It's a triple trunked cherry, about 30 foot tall, I've cut it down to about
12-15 feet high so far.
It was due to be next winter's woodburner fuel. That's what I've got so it
will have to do.

mark

I'm looking for about five feet of cherry, preferably with a bend at the
thicker end to restore (make a stock for) a New England plains rifle -
nice (percussion) twist barrel, octagonal, with a flared muzzle - much
too nice to keep just as a pile of metal bits innit.

If something could be arranged, I've a mountain of firewood to exchange...

--
Rusty