Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 PM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Why don't my violets flower?

FarmI wrote:
"Trish Brown" wrote in message
I've got a largish collection of violet species and all are doing very
well at the moment: lots of growth, runners spreading etc. However, there
are not many flowers! I've got the violets in a position where they get
morning sun and dappled afternoon shade. The ones I transplanted into full
sun just turned up their toes. Can anyone suggest a reason for the lack of
flowers?

PS. Occasionally, I'll find a swollen seed pod as if a flower had occurred
*some*where, but the little devils are managing to hide from me if that's
the case. I can't find 'em!

My violets finished flowering ages ago in early Spring. None of mine are
currently flowering but they do all look lush and healthy (in places where
they are out of the direct sun). Are you asking about why they aren't
flowering now, or why they didn't flower in Spring?

Yes!

(Sorry, couldn't resist that...)

They didn't flower in Spring and nor did they flower much last Spring
(which was their first, so I didn't really expect much). I'd just like
to know what I should do for them so that I get some flowers next year.
Y'know?

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia