Old 07-12-2009, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Growing Mushrooms in Logs

K wrote:
mark writes
I've just seen in a Sutton's catalogue, wooden plugs which have been
impregnated with mushroom spores.
It says to drill holes in freshly cut logs (not pine) and insert the
plugs.

Just so happens that I'm partway through butchering a cherry tree so
have a
supply of logs.
The plugs are nearly £12 for 60. I don't mind parting with the £12 if
I get
a good crop but may need counselling if I don't.

Any experiences or advice?

I think you can get smaller quantities from other suppliers - then you
may be risking £5 rather than £12.

I'm not sure cherry is the best wood to use - I haven't seen many fungi
on wild cherries.

I tried the plugs once without success, but my failure rather than theirs.

You'd do just as well by finding a sawmill which cuts hardwoods and
making bricks/composite logs with beech sawdust. Try oak too, you can
then grow shiitake.

Oysters prefer beech and IIRC, quercus and chestnut - there's a clone
growing locally on a poorly holly tree. /goes and gets book down/ yup.
Prefers beech.

--
Rusty