Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Growing Mushrooms in Logs

"mark" wrote ...
I've just seen in a Sutton's catalogue, wooden plugs which have been
impregnated with mushroom spores.
It says to drill holes in freshly cut logs (not pine) and insert the
plugs.

Just so happens that I'm partway through butchering a cherry tree so have
a supply of logs.
The plugs are nearly £12 for 60. I don't mind parting with the £12 if I
get a good crop but may need counselling if I don't.

Any experiences or advice?

I started off a number of logs last year. You need fresh logs so they are
not already infected with another fungus. Whilst you may cover them with
plastic to seal in the moisture for the first 6 months or so, as soon as you
uncover them, once you notice the ends of the logs turning black, you also
need somewhere damp for them to stay, especially for the year to 18 months
before they start to crop, and that is crucial.
Hope you have better, or quicker, luck than me.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden