Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mike Mike is offline

Default mouse infestation

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
Actually, I'm dead serious about killing mice. It seems like mice have
moved into our 92 year old home with a vengeance. It started about 2
months ago, as it got cold outside. I was able to use traditional
mousetraps to kill a lot of them, but then that petered out as the
remaining ones seemed to keep to the walls more, and not bother with the
traps, no matter what tempting morsels I might put in them.

About a month ago, I finished installing clear plastic panels over the
open joists in the kitchen ceiling. I had installed tube fluorescent
lights up there. Now I notice that in just the past week, there are
probably 60 mouse droppings up there on top of the plastic, and I can also
see yellow where they have been taking ****. This is right up above our
kitchen stove.

I'm wondering if our mice could be numerous because my sister, who lives
on the other side of our duplex, is a packrat. She tends to leave things
lay around, including food, which probably gives them a perfect breeding
ground. They finally got into her foodstuffs so bad that she was forced
to make some changes, though. Still, I believe they have plenty of hiding
places in the boxes piled up over there.

Obviously, this is a serious problem. I want the mice dead. I've been
thinking of either fumigation or poison of some kind.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I'd like to get
something that I can put all over in hidden areas, which will eradicate
these things.

I had same problem. I would go with the extermination route because the
problem doesn't go away for good and the mice will keep coming back. The
exterminator will place the appropriate traps both exterior and interior and
can get into places you can't. Mice were gone very quickly. The
exterminator comes back every 3 month to refresh the traps. Problem solved.

Mike