Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Damn villains

"Sacha" wrote...
"Bob Hobden" said:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
Went down the allotment site yesterday for a few veg for dinner and was
confronted by the site of all the sheds on the site being broken into,
doors or what's left of them flapping in the breeze. To get to the
sheds they had smashed rabbit fences and gates. Luckily with no shed we
only had big footprints in the soft earth were I had already dug as
they walked across our plot.
Luckily I spotted a cache of stuff hidden by the gates and took it home
after advising the Police.
Spent the rest of the day dealing with the Police, a SOCO, putting
notices on all sheds for the Police, and advising as many plotholders
as I could by phone or personally. Still today I've had to go down to
the site again.
Yet the Council can't give me contact details of all the plotholders
because of Data Protection!!!

Yes they can! Jobsworths...

Well it turns out that the Council themselves have now made contact or
left messages for all the other plot holders, saves me a job. I have also
been able to get the details of some that have contacted me for future
reference.
The Police have now proved to be a bunch of .......... because they told
one plot holder that each shed has to go down as separate crimes whereas
I was given a number for all the site which they were all to quote so
they could all be linked, they then said they knew nothing about me
having found stuff when I'd given them a list and their SOCO had been
round and fingerprinted it. I despair some times.
Strangely only the petrol Strimmer and the petrol Generator (?) have been
claimed so far so it look like I might gain stuff.
I think they were disturbed. Looking at the site today and the footprints
they appear to have been collecting stuff on the plot by the main gates
as they went through each shed, the cache I found.
A shed near our plot which is also next to our only neighbouring property
had a Cultivator in it that wasn't moved despite the shed being broken
into, that neighbour breeds some large dogs (Dogue de Bordeaux) so
perhaps they started barking and frightened them off. They would put the
fear of God into anyone in the dark, especially when they bark on mass.
Anyway, looks like damage was the only outcome.
They will be back though IDC, guaranteed.

Maybe a few sheds could have those 'trembler' type car alarms in them?!

Possibly, but who would hear them. The best thing is not to have a shed at
all. A couple of us old guys have said all along that with most of the "new"
plot holders all seemingly wanting and erecting sheds it would all end in
tears. When we went there there was only one shed on the whole site and
there had been no problems for 20 years or more, now with 8 sheds we get
trouble for the first time.
I appreciate few would want an old 90 (Defender) van like me, but as most
of the plot holders travel to the site by car I can't understand why they
don't use a small trailer for the tools, they can be left in it if you can
push the trailer into a garage back home. They are so cheap they wouldn't
cost much more than a shed anyway and it frees up some land for plants. If
in walking distance then a good wheelbarrow works well.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden