Old 18-04-2003, 02:44 AM
linda mar

Default pH fluctuations? GH drift?

wow. 8.9? that's pretty harsh!!! do you have to treat your tap for pH
before you water change, or do you just have lots of fish that can tolerate
very high pH? if you do, what do you use to treat your tap for pH?

NaOH, eh? hm... makes sense.. (cheap, available in pellet form..)

linda

"Robert Flory" wrote in message
. ..

"Alex R" wrote in message

How do you know it's 7.8? Do you have a high-range pH test kit? I've

never
heard of the water utility adding something other than bicarbonate to

raise
the pH. Why add something else when bicarbonate would do the job?

Also, I think a large water change is the most beneficial thing you can

do
right now. I wouldn't hold it off any longer.
__
Alex

Mine adds sodium hydroxide..... I got that from the engineer that runs the
system.
I'm close to the treatment plant and mine comes out 8.9 pH.

Bob