Old 09-12-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default electric chainsaw

In article ,
Brian Mitchell wrote:

I have a line of leylandii very close to the house (like, seven feet)
which I need to fell and then reduce. I presume this is a supposed hedge
that got out of control and the average size is now 20+ feet high and
10" diameter (chest height).

I'm thinking of getting an electric chainsaw for this, since the job is
close to the house and I think an electric one might be more manageable
up a ladder than a petrol-driven one, but I would welcome any
experienced advice on chainsaws in general, electric ones in particular,
and brands. I'd also quite like to know how *small* a diameter of branch
it's feasible to cut with one.

You're bonkers. Get a 30" bow saw, and you will be vastly less
likely to cut your own arms, legs and short arm off by accident.
There is no problem with that diameter with that size of bow saw.
It's also a hell of a lot cheaper, needs negligible maintenance
and takes up less space.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.