Old 09-12-2009, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default electric chainsaw

Brian Mitchell wrote:
Hi,

I have a line of leylandii very close to the house (like, seven feet)
which I need to fell and then reduce. I presume this is a supposed hedge
that got out of control and the average size is now 20+ feet high and
10" diameter (chest height).

We had (and still have some of) a similar but much larger problem,
ours are getting on for 50ft high!

I'm thinking of getting an electric chainsaw for this, since the job is
close to the house and I think an electric one might be more manageable
up a ladder than a petrol-driven one, but I would welcome any

Don't even *think* of using a chainsaw up a ladder, it's a horribly
dangerous thing to do, especially as you haven't used one before. I'm
not saying don't use a chainsaw, I've done much as you want to do on
our rather larger Leylandii. It's quite do'able as long as you're careful.

experienced advice on chainsaws in general, electric ones in particular,
and brands. I'd also quite like to know how *small* a diameter of branch
it's feasible to cut with one.

Do lots of reading about chainsaw safety etc., some of it isn't wholly
applicable to electric chainsaws but most of it makes a lot of sense.
I'd recommend either getting *very* familiar with using the chainsaw to
cut logs etc. before felling trees or going on some sort of course.
You don't really want to buy a chainsaw and immediately go out and
chop down trees.

I've used (and worn out) two electric chainsaws, first was a B&D,
second was a Bosch, I now have a Makita. Nothing particularly wrong
with either the B&D or the Bosch, they served me well. The Makita is
somewhat better but there isn't a *huge* difference. For your sort of
job I think I'd recommend something like the Bosch.

You can cut as small as you like, one of the things that an electric
chainsaw is very good at is 'shaving' all the small twiggery off
branches. Just be aware that this will flick twigs etc. at you quite
voilently so good face protection is essential.

If/when you do decide to cut the trees down the safest way is to cut a
foot or two above the ground when you will have a safe and solid
stance. I'm not going to say much more because a Google search will
find you sites with much more complete (and better) safety rules than
I can come up with in a short post here.

--
Chris Green