Old 09-12-2009, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Mitchell Brian Mitchell is offline

Default electric chainsaw

"'Mike'" writes:

Seven feet?? :-((

The line appoaches the house at a slight angle but the nearest is seven feet.

I feel sure others will advise you, but I guess it would be wise NOT
to take
them all out at once because of heave.

I hear what you say but I have already excavated twice between these
trees and the house, once right beside the foundations and once close to
the trees(to a depth of about 2ft) to install a land drain, and found a
mass of small and fine roots rather than anything large. The house is on
a steep stony slope and is not of normal construction; it's timber frame
with cladding on a natural stone/lime mortar foundation, so it's all
very flexible! To be honest, I'm more concerned about losing a useful
windbreak, given all the gales we've had, but my neighbour has planted
his own line of conifers (!) which are getting quite robust now.

brian mitchell

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk