Old 10-12-2009, 06:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
R[_5_] R[_5_] is offline

Default electric chainsaw

"Brian Mitchell" wrote in message
Rusty Hinge writes:

Hmmm. Firewood!

Yes. Do they burn well?

Back in the late 1950s we (Emerson Park Tree Felling Company) used a 36"
Pioneer - up trees in excess of 150 ft...

Heroic! I was thinking in terms of a 16" about 9 or 10ft up at the most.
The folk who come by to trim around the power lines seem to swing about
quite happily with largeish petrol driven machines in hand. No doubt
they're trained.

Elfin Safety'd have a fit now! Nor did we have leggings, jackets,
helmets, etc. Goggles and leather gloves, ropes, tackle and so-on, yes.

I don't think these handy accesories are de rigeur if you are using a
power saw on your own property, yourself...

I have a lot of that stuff. Not leggings, though. Are they sexy, like
chaps?

There's a variety of advice here, and so far mostly good and sound.

Plan A

What *you* do on your own property with a chainsaw in hand at height won't
directly break any reg's (As you aren't a contractor) but given your
inexperience do you *really* want to leap around on a ladder with a running
leg removal tool ?

Go to a hire shop, a proper one, ask advice about hiring a saw AND the
relevant safety kit.
This "should" consist of a hard hat, with (built in usually), ear defenders,
gloves, and suitable "Ballistic" lined coat and trousers.

The coat and trousers are lined with Kevlar strands. This is the stopper for
the chain BEFORE it gets to your skin, designed to block the machine with
strands of shredded fibre and stall it.

Believe me, it works ! (I still have the *tiniest* of lines on my thigh to
prove what happens when you trip as a saw is powering DOWN and off power and
you land across it) Chain brakes MUST be used BEFORE you move, I learned on
my course the following week !

Plan B

Get a man in!
Seriously it is worth doing right and he may suggest just topping the
conifers to leave an all important wind-break.

Logs from Leylandii spit like f**k when still wet, smell nice, leave a tarry
residue and can in some burners leave ignitable tarry deposits up the flue
resulting in at a later date a lovely fire up the chimney which can warm the
place to the ground!