Old 10-12-2009, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steve B[_3_] Steve B[_3_] is offline

Default electric chainsaw

In article ,
says...
writes:

You're bonkers. Get a 30" bow saw...

My usual instinct is to use hand tools but I seem to have reached the
age where not very much reciprocal motion wrecks my elbow rather soon.
There's eighteen of these trees. However, given the warnings so far, I
may think about doing the felling as you suggest and use a chainsaw to
reduce them once they're down.

brian mitchell

When we moved here, I had to reduce a line of 30' leylandii to 15'.
The actual trunks were about 4" or so dia at that height, but the dense
smaller branches were well tangled together, so had to come off first anyway.
For this I used a pruning saw in order to gain access for the bow saw. As it
happens, the pruning saw was the best tool for the main trunks also.
As I recall, trying to cut off small stuff with a chain saw is considered to
be very dangerous, especially if perched on a ladder.

Steve