Old 10-12-2009, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Default Well rotted horse manure question

"Part_No" wrote in message

I was under the false impression that horse manure was full of goodies
and that it was used as a fertilizer.

NPK for fresh horse manure is 0.7, 0.3, 0.6 (though I've heard figures as
low as 0.44, 0.17, 0.35 quoted) After 3 years in the rain it's unlikley to
have a quarter of that. Don't worry though as it's still well worth having
(especially on light soil)

I can get as much of this as I want so if all I need to do is spread it
on the top I'll get another trailer load or two.
Should I be spreading it now? or wait.

If you've already got your digging done by now, you're a better man than
me. I'd spread it out now and keep the worms warm and happy with it until
the spring, then dig it in. You can not put too much on (seriously, 6"
thick, dug in, would not over do it)

Tom