Old 11-12-2009, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default electric chainsaw

Muddymike wrote:
"Brian Mitchell" wrote in message

I use one I bought from B&Q about 10 years ago. Its on its third
chain and still working well. I have cut down large leylandii
with it and found the best method is to cut off as many branches
as you can reach from the ground first. Then cut the tree at
waist level, before trimming off the remaining branches. Cutting
them down is the easy bit, its clearing up afterwards that's hard
work.

If you're going to remove the rootball, take the branches off, but leave
the whole height of the tree standing.

Attach a rope to the top.

Dig round the rootball with spade and mattock.

Pull rope, and tree comes out, complete with rootball.

Getting the rootball out after cutting down the tree is *MUCH* harder work.

--
Rusty