Old 11-12-2009, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default electric chainsaw

Aries wrote:
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 00:24:01 +0000, Rusty Hinge wrote:

Aries wrote:
A question Charlie - wouldn't cutting such tall leylandii down that much
kill it off altogether? I ask that question as we too have a very tall
leylandii hedge running around part of our property and I hate it - makes me
feel rather claustrophobic

I know my name's not Charlie, but there's a lad called Charlie down the
road, so I'll answer on his behalf.

Cut off all the grennery from most, if not all coniferous trees will
kill them. Generally if not always, conifers only grow from the bits
with foliage. The only exception I can think of offhand is yew, which
technically, is a conifer,

The Leylandii hedge we have here is around 12 feet tall in places and
there's a lot of it going around one side and the end of our garden. I
would love to either cut it down to say 6 feet or take it out altogether and
plant evergreen shrubs in their place. Let me confirm what you're saying -
if we cut them down by half will that kill them altogether ?

No.

Cut the growing-point(s) from a branch, and that branch will not grow
any more.

Cut it off hlfway up, and what you haven't cut off will continue to grow
as normal.

Someone I know cut his leylndii hedge back to the trunk, expectig it to
sprout - it didn't, but FTTB it makes a good frame for climbers.

--
Rusty