Old 12-12-2009, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Watering plants while on holiday

On Oct 30, 5:22*am, Greenerdigits Greenerdigits.
wrote:
Hi Guys

This is my first time on this forum.

I go away on business about once a month and i am looking for a way of
keeping my house plants hydrated while i am away.

I have found a product online and wondered if anyone had used it before
and if it worked. It's called Holiday Mat and Rainmat supplied byhttp://www.plant-watering.com/
They claim it holds 8 pints of water. You lay it on a draining board,
add water to it and place your plants on top.

If you have any thoughts on this or better products, i would be very
grateful

Expect roots to grow out the bottom of the pots into
the mat. You can make a wick system for next to
nothing, with as much water capacity as you need.

Whatever, pruning plants back will reduce transpiration,
reducing water intake.