Old 13-12-2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS AndyS is offline

Default Norway spruce

On Dec 10, 11:29 am, gardengal wrote:
On Dec 10, 2:44 am, AndyS wrote:

On Nov 27, 3:38 am, billwilliams billwilliams.

wrote:
Hello. Four years ago I planted a christmas tree in the garden. At the
time it was 6ft tall, it has now reached around 12ft.

If I cut the top six feet off the tree, will it recover?

Many thanks

--
billwilliams

Andy comments:

I'm not sure what "Christmas tree" means since evergreens of all
types are used for this.

The subject line says it all - Norway spruce.

Red cedar - not a cedar at all but Juniperus virginiana - has a very
variable habit and responds to topping or heavy pruning in a much
different manner than do other, very defined single leader conifers.
You may get by easily by topping a juniper but you will NOT get the
same result topping a spruce.

Issues of topping conifers:http://www.evergreenarborist.com/Articles/article10.htm

Andy responds:

Thanks gardengal. I've never tried it on spruce.... I am aware
of
Juniperis Virginianus, but it is called by so many colloquial names
that just saying "red cedar" pretty much describes it .

I like spruce, but haven't seen any growing around here.
It's the red cedar that are very popular here as Xmas trees.

Ok.... Thanks for the info....

Andy in Eureka, Texas