Old 12-12-2009, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam coleridge sam coleridge is offline

Default hyacinth shoots out of the side not at the top

About four weeks ago we bought some hyacinth bulbs and put them inside the
house over water in a vase.

It has pushed down all the white roots into the water, but instead of it
pushing green shoots out of the top of the bulb it has grown three little
growths around the base of the bulb that look like big garlic cloves each
with its tiny green shoots coming out of the top of them.

Is this normal? Or should we chop off these little side shoots in the hope
that the main shoot come out of the top of the bulb eventually?