Old 14-12-2009, 12:22 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1[_3_] SG1[_3_] is offline

Default OT; glass top tables shattering

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
terryc wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:33:36 +0800, tony wrote:

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:13:03 +0000 (UTC), terryc
wrote:

Not strictly garden related, unless you are like us and have a
"garden table" for cuppas, etc.

Has anyone heard of these just randomly shattering?

Yes, there were quite a few cases reported on various curent affairs
programs a couple of months ago.

Thanks. Neighbour's has just randomly shattered apparently. They
couldn't find any "missile" and when I looked at the frame that was
left, there was no "padding" in it and as I've seem glass in other
metal frames shatter from metal intrusions, I did wonder. This one
got full sun each day, to charge the glowing frog/etc garden lights
{:-), so there would have been some expansion movement.

I have no specific knowledge of the glass tables that you are speaking of
other than you see them at bunnings etc. Is the glass toughened? The
heavy glass for large doors and tables is toughened and you would have
trouble breaking it with a hammer. I suspect that given the price the
glass for smaller cheap tables is not toughened and if is stressed by
temperature change and/or point pressure from an unpadded metal frame it
will fail without an obvious cause.

David

Have frame (padded) was in house when bought. It has been suggested to me
that I get an old door that has glass in it a get the local glass repairman
to cut to fit. SWMBO is thinking of MDF or similar. I'll just do what i'm
told ahem ahem