Old 18-04-2003, 03:56 AM
B & J

Default Common Lantana help? Novice gardener!

"Rachel" wrote in message
"B & J" wrote in message

Zone 6? I was just going to post and ask when my lantana "Miss Huff" might
show some new-season growth, demonstrating that it survived this past
winter. This is supposed to be the hardiest lantana, but only hardy to

Zone
7. We're right on the border of 7a/6b on a West Virginia mountainside, so

we
put it in the sunniest spot and chanced it. Now I don't know if it's dead,
or just waiting for warmer weather to sprout new growth.

Or, do you propagate from cuttings each season?

I propagate the larger ones from cuttings each fall and keep these cuttings
in the garage during the winter, but some of the smaller ones such as New
Gold, which I use as a pot plant, are kept in the pot in the crawl space
under the house. I water them a couple of times during the winter. They lose
all their leaves and look like dead sticks but quickly come back to life
when hauled into the light and watered regularly. I treat them exactly the
same as I do my geraniums.

John