Old 14-12-2009, 12:11 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edh78 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer some advice?

I have just received a hybrid tea rose. I'm in the East Midlands and I'm wondering whether it is okay to plant it at this time of year? Should I start preparing the soil now to plant the rose in a few weeks time in mid-January?

Or should I wait until March-April? If I need to wait until spring what should I do to take care of the plant in the meantime - how and where should I store it?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.
It is too late this year for safe planting.

If the rose is in a pot, leave in that, but keep it protected from the pot freezing. If it is is bare-rooted, then heel the plant into a border till planting time in the spring.