Old 14-12-2009, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default New to forum - question about roses

"Edh78" wrote

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer
some advice?

I have just received a hybrid tea rose. I'm in the East Midlands and I'm
wondering whether it is okay to plant it at this time of year? Should I
start preparing the soil now to plant the rose in a few weeks time in
mid-January?

Or should I wait until March-April? If I need to wait until spring what
should I do to take care of the plant in the meantime - how and where
should I store it?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

Welcome to this Newsgroup.
You don't say if it's pot grown but assuming it is then plant it asap, it
will be safer planted than left outside in it's pot so the roots can freeze.
A mulch over the roots once planted will ensure they stay nice and snug.
If your rose is bare rooted (no soil around the roots) then that makes it
imperative you get it planted immediately to stop the roots drying out and
dying. If you can't plant it in it's permanent position then plant it
somewhere else for the time being (called heeling in) and replant in the
early spring.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden