Old 14-12-2009, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default New to forum - question about roses

On 14 Dec, 08:27, Edh78 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer
some advice?

I have just received a hybrid tea rose. I'm in the East Midlands and I'm
wondering whether it is okay to plant it at this time of year? Should I
start preparing the soil now to plant the rose in a few weeks time in
mid-January?

Or should I wait until March-April? If I need to wait until spring what
should I do to take care of the plant in the meantime - how and where
should I store it?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

--
Edh78

Just get it planted asap. The bare root planting season runs from
November to March - early April if you must, but watch the watering. I
prefer to plant before Christmas if possible. The only thing that need
stop you planting is hard frozen ground - a thin crust of frozen soil
isn't a problem so long as you scrape that off and set it aside and
you only put unfrozen soil back in. Correct planting depth is
important - you will notice that your rose is a 'plant of 2 halves'
The nobbly junction is the grafting union between the rootstock and
the cultivated rose - that union needs to be a little below the
surface after planting and firming in well (welly, not fingers please)

Rod