Old 14-12-2009, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default New to forum - question about roses

beccabunga wrote:
Edh78;871870 Wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer
some advice?

I have just received a hybrid tea rose. I'm in the East Midlands and I'm
wondering whether it is okay to plant it at this time of year? Should I
start preparing the soil now to plant the rose in a few weeks time in
mid-January?

Or should I wait until March-April? If I need to wait until spring what
should I do to take care of the plant in the meantime - how and where
should I store it?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

It is too late this year for safe planting.

If the rose is in a pot, leave in that, but keep it protected from the
pot freezing. If it is is bare-rooted, then heel the plant into a border
till planting time in the spring.

Totally disagree.

--
Rusty