Old 15-12-2009, 10:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Garrapata Garrapata is offline

Default Yellow Ice Plant

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:21:15 -0800, "Zootal"
wrote:

"Garrapata" wrote in message
.. .
When I was in high school I spent a summer vacation planting this stuff
all along the Monterey coast.
Now, wherever it can be, it is being removed.
--

09=ix

Why are they removing it? I used to live in the Monterey area, and we had it
growing everywhere there was a hill that we didn't want to errode. Back
yards, along the highways - all over. It's not invasive, and IIRC it's easy
to control. It attracts bees. It's quite pretty.

It is invasive, it crowds out native plants, it is shallow rooted and
gets so heavy it causes erosion in sandy soils by pulling down hillsides
when it rains
--

09=ix