Old 16-12-2009, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Plant broad beans? Potatos sprouting?

Brownfingers wrote:
My packets of broad beans say plant October or January. Why can't I
plant now? The weathers so odd anyway and broad beans can't read a
calendar.

Isn't the idea to plant before it gets really cold, so they grow a
bit then they stop for winter - they don't die, but they also don't
grow any more until spring. So if it was warm enough to start them
off it would be fine. But since it as -3 here this morning (and
snow is expected later in the week) I'd say you've missed the slot.

Although I just planted some in pots and put them in the greenhouse
to put out in spring.

My stored potato's are sprouting! That's never happened before till
the spring.

Yeah, mine seem to be doing that a bit, too. Although tbh, I'm not
sure I can say they didn't do it last year and previous.