Old 18-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Kristen

Default Corn

FDR wrote:

I have a 15 by 23 foot garden (raised bed). I have a 6 by 15 section that
has strawberries in it but I am ripping them out because I have a new patch
elsewhere. I have two options: plant a cover crop or plant corn. The rest
of my garden will be tomatoes, peppers, bush beans, lettuce and broccoli.

Can I get a decent crop of corn or would a cover drop do better and then
rotate the tomatoes and peppers?

I live in zone 5, central NY and according to my cooperative extension these
corn varieties are best suited for my area:

snip varieties

I grew Silver Choice (Burpee) last year in the North Syracuse area, and
it did very well! Even though I know you "can't" start corn indoors and
transplant it, I did for half of it (about 2 weeks of growth), and got
twice as much yield as the direct seeded corn, even in last summer's
super hot (for here) weather. I'm a "transplant" myself, from South
Jersey, so I *have* to grow my own white corn up here. No one sells
anything but yellow or bi-color!
I had enough in four 12' rows to feed myself and my husband through the
late summer as fresh ears, plus enough to put away (freeze) for
Thanksgiving, Christmas, and now the last batch for Easter (and a few
bags in between just for the pure enjoyment!)
I'm trying again this summer, and I just hope it works as well as it
did last year! Or better, as we just expanded the garden by another 4
feet today (at 4 feet per year, I'll have the whole back yard planted in
a decade or so!)

-Kristen